HAPPY NEW YEAR. With the arrival of a new year, why not start it off hopeful by creating room for loving kindness to flourish. The more space we create within our ribcage, particularly around our heart and lungs, the more able we are to love. I find backbends invigorate my capacity to love myself, to love those near and dear, as well as to love those suffering without love.
For the following backbend sequence, continue to practice the yoga actions from last week (Part I). As usual, begin your practice in a seated posture for 3 – 5 minutes that allows you to experience the actions below.
1. Draw the front hip bones toward each other.
2. Nutate the top of the sacrum — release it forward into the core of the body. Note how the tailbone shifts away from the core.
3. If you wish, include the Rectus Abdominis action from the inversion sequences.
NOTE: These actions create the conditions for the Mula Bandha (pelvic floor energy lock) to activate — the toning and lifting of the pelvic floor muscles.
ARDHA PURVOTTANASANA (Half Upward Plank) 5 REPS
– on 5th Rep, extend legs & hold for 5-10 Breaths
ADHO MUKHA SVANASANA (Down Dog) 10-20 Breaths
SUPTA VIRASANA (Supine Hero) 30-50 Breaths
– bolster, blocks or blankets behind head & thoracic spine
SALAMBA PURVOTTANASANA (Supported Upward Plank) 30-50 Breaths
– head on block; hands clasp back chair rung
USTRASANA (Camel) 3 REPS @ 10-15 Breaths each
– hands on bolster; 1 hand on heel; both hands on heels (if available)
PASCHIMOTTANASANA (Seated Forward Bend) 10-20 Breaths
SAVASANA (Corpse) 5-10 minutes
– weight on front abdominal region; arms overhead
May your heart know loving kindness each day of 2021. Namaste.