Harry Chapin: image by Cindy Funk
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. Bill Hicks
Brian Wilson‘s 1966 song lyrics, “I’m pickin’ up good vibrations, she’s giving me excitations. Good, good, good – good vibrations,” eludes to one of the least known aspects of being human — our energy ‘body’. Getting “good vibes” from someone, in the 1960s and 70s, meant the energy passing between you was positive. That somewhat simplified definition still prevails today.
The higher the frequency of your energy or vibration, the lighter you feel in your physical, emotional, and mental bodies. You experience greater personal power, clarity, peace, love, and joy. You have little, if any, discomfort or pain in your physical body, and your emotions are easily dealt with. Your energy is literally full of light! Your life flows with synchronicity, and you manifest what you desire with ease. Overall, your life takes on a positive quality. Pamela Dussault Funtagh
In essence, most spiritual practices and psychological teachings support the power of positive thinking or positive energy. Furthermore, those who maintain positive energy vibrate at a higher, lighter level and are seen as more in touch with their true self — awareness, authenticity, spirit, source, god of their belief, etc. Conversely, the lower, denser your vibration, the more inner and outer conflict, heaviness and confusion you experience. And, the more likely you identify with your personality (ego) and physical being than with your higher inner nature and true self.
We analyse and measure our emotional and physical bodies in multiple ways, so how do we measure our energy body? Not without controversy, David R. Hawkins, MD, PhD utilized applied kinesiology (muscle testing) to document several levels of human energy vibration or consciousness (see Power vs. Force: The Anatomy of Consciousness, 1995). Hawkins’ research correlated levels of consciousness with the specific human behaviours and perceptions illustrated below. The numerical values on the left are hertz (Hz), which measure the existence of electromagnetic wave cycles per one second.
It is worth noting that living a full-spectrum of experience and emotion brings forth deep integration and more positive living for those who choose it. Thus, these levels of consciousness, can be more than momentary experiences. So, as you consider where to find yourself on the above map, ask “Do I operate from this capacity more often than not (i.e. more than 70 to 80% of the time)?”
If you find it difficult to assess your level of vibration/consciousness using the map, consider the statements below, which provide more detail for your self-discovery. From each list, circle the statements that best reflect your current experience. Resist applying these statements to others as then you are operating in blame and judgment (low vibration) rather than unconditional love and compassion (high vibration).
A HIGH VIBRATION/CONSCIOUSNESS imples you are …
• self-aware (conscious of your sensations/emotions/thoughts/words/actions) and empathetic to others
• creative, inspirational and very intuitive
• emotionally and physically intelligent, strong and balanced
• deeply connected to life, divinity and love
• grateful for your life and able to smile and laugh easily
• not clinging to passing things (material comforts, friendships, indulgences)
• self-disciplined (able to delay pleasure if it does not serve you)
• confident and not “needing” anything to feel happy
• nurturing of yourself and others
• in synchronicity with the universe (opportunities spontaneously appear for you)
• living in the present moment more than with past regrets or future fantasy
• eating raw, unprocessed food
• patient and able to forgive easily
• living your life calling
• not arguing or competing — letting others win is OK
• open to diverse people, ideas, beliefs and experiences
• attracted to profound, calming and inspirational people and things
• easy for others to open up to — often the counselor/peacemaker/teacher in friendships and relationships
A LOW VIBRATION/CONSCIOUSNESS implies you are …
• “stuck”; not knowing what to do next or what you want in life
• apathetic or uncaring towards yourself and others
• emotionally distant and/or reactive
• constantly fatigued and lethargic
• primarily concerned with yourself
• struggling with despair and desperation (anxiety, OCD or depression)
• under the control of your old habits
• chronically ill, physically unfit and unhealthy
• resentful, jealous and unforgiving to yourself and other people
• constantly feeling guilty about something
• making poor choices and self-sabotaging
• feeling unfulfilled and challenged to see the beauty in life
• unable to connection with others without pain
• overly cynical and skeptical
• argumentative and complaining
• abusing substances
• focusing primarily on the negative and struggling to feel gratitude
• eating primarily fatty or processed foods (meat, fast food, sugar)
• needy or demanding of others
• attracted to violent things (multimedia, music, etc.)
To reiterate what I wrote earlier … each of us experiences both low and high energy or vibrations. What to look for in ourselves is what we are primarily feeding — the high or the low. For example, our conditioned habits (perceptions and judgments) place inappropriate value on our emotions and experiences, because we see them as who we are. The challenge for us to remember is that emotion and experience are neither good nor bad. They just are. Our work is to understand why they are showing up in our lives. This energy of present moment self-awareness is a key tool for higher vibrational living. The deeper we dig to flush out understanding, the greater our sense of self, and the higher our vibration.
Another tool for enhanced understanding that blocks or purges negativity from one’s energy field is sound vibration — chanting, drumming and musical tones. All three penetrate the conscious and subconscious minds. As an example, the musical tone of 528 Hz (electromagnetic waves/second), more familiarly called the “love frequency”, is said to stimulate creation, repair DNA and increase awareness and transformation. Click on the audio below to experience this sacred geometry tone.
Over the next week or month, work with this sacred geometry frequency during meditation and assess the results for yourself. It is helpful to journal your present moment experience immediately after you complete your meditation. I often begin with the following triggers,
I am aware physically …
I am aware mentally-emotionally …
I am aware energetically …
I am aware intuitively …
On a final note, can you call someone to mind who shifted your inner experience merely by their presence? It might have been their loving nature or how they inspired you. More than one person comes to mind, right! I always remember a 1981 solo concert by Harry Chapin. He brought out a rickety old stool with his guitar, and for two hours serenaded his very large audience by weaving each of his songs into the story of his life.
As part of his encore, he sang ‘All My Life’s a Circle.’ During that song, he had the people on the main floor look up at the people on the balcony and sing a verse. And the people on the balcony look down and they sang a verse. It was very cool and I had never seen it done before or since.
Gerald Cullen, 40-year employee Centennial Auditorium
At the end of Harry’s enthralling performance, I turned to my companion and said, “OMG, it’s a love fest!” We were lovingly elevated by his energy. When I looked back at Harry, I could see a soft glow emanating from his body.